Travels

Monday, April 9, 2007

Go west my man.

Hey I'm Luftbuefel, LB for short and I'm an animator and programmer that decided to take a break from stresses of everyday life to go do some volunteer work in the middle of nowhere in California.

So I've lived in California before so it's no big surprise to me but I still find the differences to be very noticable. For instance, on the way to where I was going from the airport I stopped by the supermarket to get some soap and shampoo. Then I realized that the store sold only organic products. I have nothing against organic stuff, I just don't care too much about it either way, and with my current lack of income I don't want to pay more for organic. Either way, I got some shampoo, conditioner, soap, and since they didn't have any rags I got a body scrubber ball. That's all I bought and when I got to the cashier she asked me if I was doing some deep cleansing. Not really knowing what else to say, I told her I was and she smiled. I'm not really sure that I had a reason to be, but I was embarassed.



The great thing about the trip up to where I'm staying was that we stopped again at another store which was very Californian but in a different way. The store had a wooden porch on it and looked a lot like a building you would see in an old western. Best of all it has two signs: one advertising rabbit meat at $5.99 a pound, and another for a sale on buffalo burgers.

Also pretty close to this store was Bodega Bay. This was where Alfred Hitchcock filmed his excellent film "The Birds". There weren't too many birds around when I was there, but where I'm living there are some pretty huge ravens that look like they could take on a man.

Anyway, where I'm living now is ridiculously beautiful, there are wild animals everywhere and they're not to used to humans. So it is pretty easy to get close to them to take good pictures. Here are some deer I saw as I was walking home from work. A couple of days ago I counted all the deer I could see in the field I was in and I got all the way to 15. Besides all the deer, so far I've seen several flocks of wild turkey, a family of quail, lots of ravens, a tree frog, some monster slugs, and a red fox carrying something that looked like a white pipe in his mouth.

1 comment:

ames said...

the fox's plumbing must have sprung a leak, poor guy! i hope his house isn't flooded