Travels

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Tip for Text in Flash

I was working my way through the hefty, 900+ page book Essential Actionscript 3.0 with the hopes of finishing it by the month's end when I learned something new. It has happened to me before that I wanted to use some dynamic text as part of something that rotated, skewed, or changed transparency. This never seemed to work so I always resorted to breaking the letters apart into graphics and abandoning the idea of dynamic text. Today, as I was reading page 705, I learned that dynamic text can be used in all these wonderful effects as long as you embed it. I did some tests and it is indeed true. Just make sure that you embedded all the symbols necessary, otherwise your text might be missing things when you render the swf.

You can see this in action in the new widget I've made for this blog, my Flickr Image viewer. This widget gets the 20 most recent pictures I've uploaded to my Flickr account and makes a cross-fading slide show with captions. As you can see I have embedded the font I use so the text as well as the images fade in and out. I made this widget with the help of the SWX technology created by Aral Balkan which allows Flash to easily access Flickr API (and others) easily without writing any server-side code.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey man,

Glad to see that you're playing with SWX. Nice Flickr viewer! :)