Travels

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Back in a strange new place

It's been a while but I've decided to keep this blog going. I've started working at a new job since my last post and moved to a new city. I'm very happy to say that my new job sent me to FlashForward 2007 in Boston, and I had a great time! There was so much there that inspired me that once I got home I felt overstimulated. There was too much for one post, so I'll be spreading things out over several posts.

Let me tell you about animation. The best things I learned for animation probably came from Chris Georgenes' talk. He went over some animation tricks and showed us some nice animation clips. I found the tips on lipsynching especially useful. Here's the gist:

1. Make a mouth graphic symbol (it must be a graphic).
2. In the symbol draw all the mouth shapes you want to use. You can use onion skinning to help you position the mouths.
3. Go back to the main timeline and add a keyframe, click on the mouth symbol, make sure single frame swapping is selected, and then enter the number of the frame with the mouth shape you want.
4. Continue as desired and that's it. You've learned single frame swapping.

You can watch a video tutorial of this as well as several other useful Flash animation tutorials by Hayk Manukyan at his blog: http://moolt.blogspot.com/2007_09_01_archive.html


I like this feature but it can get confusing remembering the frame numbers if you have many shapes. Once things ease up at work I think I will make a Flash extension for lipsynching that uses this feature but adds visuals so there will be no need to memorize the shapes.

1 comment:

ames said...

Good tip! I vaguely remember something from the Flash bible about using graphic symbols, not movie clips, for animating because you can designate a frame to go to, this sounds like a good use of that feature!